Our congregation was organized in 1850 as Asheborough Presbyterian Church, under the leadership of minister-evangelist Rev. George McNeill. Services were held at the county courthouse until the first church structure was built and dedicated in 1852, at the corner of Worth and Fayetteville Streets. Asheborough was a tiny community of only 189 citizens at that time, and the church was begun with just thirteen charter members. Both the town of Asheborough, and our congregation, remained small until the 1920's. Weathering both the Civil War and the reconstruction period of the South, Asheborough (and its churches) began to grow in the years immediately following the First World War. Our original church structure was renovated and expanded in 1921, to provide space for Sunday School classes, to remove the slave balcony, and to improve the appearance of the church. By 1925, our membership had grown to 119 and a pastor had come who would remain for nineteen years.
In 1923, the U.S. Postal Service changed the spelling of the name of our town, and the name of our church was changed to reflect this. Asheboro Presbyterian Church continued to grow, but shared in the difficulties faced by many congregations during the period of the Second World War. But despite war-time strains, benevolent giving grew, and many charities and church-related needs were supported during this time. It was also in the mid-1940's that our congregation sponsored the formation of a Sunday School program in the growing neighborhood of Dogwood Acres. This eventually became an independent congregation, and services are still held there today. In the early 1950's, the decision was made to relocate the church to a new, larger site at the corner of Park Street and West Walker Avenue. By 1958, our congregation had completed the building project and dedicated its new sanctuary and education building. The decades that followed continued to see growth in the Asheboro community, and by the mid-1980's, our church was in need of a larger sanctuary. Our current sanctuary was completed in 1993, and our smaller sanctuary became our large fellowship hall. We have been fortunate to have enjoyed long tenures by our senior pastors in recent times. Rev. Wilkes Macaulay served our congregation from 1966 until 1987, during a period of significant growth. Rev. Russ Ward served our congregation from the late 1980's until his retirement early in 2008. Following an interim period with a temporary pastor, our church called the Rev. Brian Gawf to lead our congregation. Our congregation benefits from its historic and on-going commitments to the ministries of music, education, worship, fellowship, and service within our community. We have an active, professionally-led youth ministry, and a dedication to pastoral care for our members. We continue to support many programs and ministries in our Asheboro community. We look forward with anticipation to the years ahead!
This summary was prepared from a history compiled by Mr. Robert Walker.